U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the U.S. government wants to ensure that the Chinese Communist Party does not have a way to easily access U.S. citizens’ data.
“We are now evaluating each instance where we believe that U.S. citizens’ data that they have on their phones or in their system or in their health care records — we want to make sure that the Chinese Communist Party doesn’t have a way to easily access that,” he said, speaking on July 8 at a press conference held at the State Department.
“This doesn’t relate to any one particular business or company, but rather to American national security,” Pompeo said. “We have been in a constant evaluation in making sure that we protect the privacy of American citizens and their information as it transits. So, this doesn’t relate to any one particular business or company, but rather to American national security. We are striving to get that right. The comments that I made about a particular company earlier this week fall in the context of us evaluating the threat from the Chinese Communist Party. We have talked about it in the context of ZTE; we have talked about it in the context of Huawei.”
Pompeo said that the administration will take actions to preserve and protect that information and deny the Chinese Communist Party access to the private information that belongs to Americans. “We have a big project, because we have partners all around the world where our infrastructure crosses Chinese technology and then comes to the United States,” the secretary of state said. “One should think about this as a project of real scale and real importance. We must get this right. The infrastructure of this next hundred years must be a communications infrastructure that is based on a Western ideal of private property and protection of private citizens’ information in a transparent way. That is not the model that Chinese Communist Party hardware and software companies are engaged in.”